January 19, 2005
And then the rains came...

We know we live in a rainforest climate here. Those who live here either love it or hate it. I love it. There's something comforting to me in those rainy, grey days. It's like the world is recharging and cleansing itself.

But there's a limit. What's happening here right now is beyond a little rain. It's like Mother Nature just dumped the tarp on us. Last week, it was so cold. Negative temperatures for about 10 days. So the grounds froze. Just last Saturday night, it snowed again over top of the icy roads and the road conditions were treacherous. Then Sunday, somebody flipped the switch. HARD!

There's widespread flooding. One person presumed dead in a landslide. Many areas, including my world, under a flood watch. The area has been declared to be in a state of emergency. I live right by the mouth of the river. The good part is I'm also pretty much on the gulf and it can handle a lot more water than those living right on the river. Even still, I'm watching a little closer than usual.

I'm brought back to a memory from 1980, when we had a large flood. I remember the school closing and walking back home with the water in the streets higher than my boots, and I got soaked. By the time, I got home, our house was under about 3' of water. My brother was desperately trying to save all his stuff from his basement bedroom while his bed floated around him. He was 18...I can only imagine what must have been going through his mind. At 18, your bedroom is your haven. Your world. And it was all under water.

The neighbours all pitched in, and all 4 of my brothers were there sandbagging and trying to save our house. I was all chuffed because I was put in charge of looking after my little nephew, Ben. It was the first time I was ever allowed to look after him all by myself and I thought I was just sooooo cool. Of course, looking back, it was out of necessity rather than anything else.

For months, it seemed our house smelled wet after that. We lost most everything on our first floor. From my perspective, it was fun. We got all new things from insurance and it was like a big shopping spree. I'm pretty sure my parents had a different view.

Since then though, whenever the rains get heavy, I always check the river levels. Even if it did feel like a fun little party at 10, I am well aware it would not be fun now. I know the standards of pumps around here are much better than 25 years ago (urgh, is it really that long ago?) and the chances of flooding are less likely. But there are areas of my town currently under water...mostly the farm areas. Low lying agricultural lands that just don't stand a chance.

It's not ending any time soon. We had a few hours of drying out this morning, but the rains came again. We're expected to have another foot of rain before this is all over.

Mother Nature sure does seem to be having one hell of a hissy fit these days.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie