November 15, 2004
Hoo-yah!
I think that's how you spell it....

We finished dinner, and the three of us were quite tired from the hikes of the day but we still decided to go to Duke's anyway for the last drink. There was one table free on the beach and we took it. I decided to have another 151 Pina Colada to calm my nerves. It was 9 when we got there.

10:00 came, then 10:30. Now I had convinced myself that what was meant to happen did. He was just a figment of my imagination. All was done. Fair enough. Good story to bring home.

J was just about ready to ask for the bill, when I look up and see him at the top of the stairs looking for us. He looked so happy when he saw us there...I had to smile.

He apologized for his lateness as he had been kept busier than he thought he would be and wasn't off duty until 10, and not 8 as originally thought. We continued our conversation from the night before and it seemed just so easy to talk to him. We found quite quickly we had differing views on world politics, among others. We talked about his dancing career, and that I didn't find it impressive but rather off putting and that it made me feel very uncomfortable about him. He took that to heart, it seemed and understood where I was coming from. Every conversation just seemed to get that more intriguing...

It was getting later in the night, and he asked if I'd come back to his place. L and J decided to walk with us part way and as we turned to leave them, L asked me to call her in an hour just to let her know I was ok. I also told her where I would be staying and the room number. I didn't feel scared but the cold hard fact is I was taking a risk with someone I barely knew. Not something I can ever remember doing before....

Suffice to say, we had a fantastic night.

The text message I sent to my friend back home simply stated 'The streak is over.'

The next few days are a whirlwind. It was extremely intense. Passionate, definitely, but even so much more than that. We spent hours upon hours discussing what was wrong with the world today, and other very deep topics that usually take people months, if not years to get to. We spent every moment we could together. He worked during the days but often called me during the day just to say hi. We knew our time together was precious, and I steeled myself to the fact that this was all a mirage. It wasn't real and would soon end when I left Hawaii.

A strange thing happened on my last day. My friends had gone off on their own trek, Todd was at work and I was spending the day shopping and lounging around. I saw a sign for a psychic and decided to throw caution to the wind. I was a little melancholy with this being the last day as well. I walked in, sat down and the first words she said were 'Who is this Leo you've met this week?'. I'm glad I sat down first!

She told me that we were both wounded, tortured souls that had seen something in each other that would never let go as long as we both lived. I must have looked a little sceptical, and said I'd only known him a week. She laughed and said 'Well, the damage is done. He's in your life for good now'. She talked a bit about him, and about his ex-wife. At this point, I didn't know of that. While we had spoken a lot of many deeply complicated topics, past relationships had not surfaced. I think we were both afraid of that one. The psychic went on to say that while as a couple, our future was murky but as friends, we were to be there for each other always.

I left the psychic and went back to hotel, confused and taken aback by what she said. Just as I got back, Todd called and was going to be downstairs in 15 min.! Uh oh! I hurried in the shower and met him as quickly as I could. He had been in trouble that day because he was so tired, and his CO finally sent him off with a warning to be back the next day in better shape. I felt so guilty. Here he was trying to work and further his career, and I'm keeping him from giving his all. It became clear that our last night together would be much shorter than expected and that he would be leaving to go back to his hotel alone so he could get some rest.

That last night was, in a word, magical. I couldn't even begin to describe the night. We walked all through the streets of Waikiki. We toyed with the idea of getting tattoos. We sat on the beach and let the waves hit our feet. Finally, I felt strong enough to tell him a bit about what the psychic said.

I was surprised that he felt positively about psychics but I didn't feel totally comfortable about blurting out all she had said. So I held back, I told him that she felt we had a strong bond and that I was shocked that she knew about him even before I had said anything. Then I dropped my big question...had he been married?

He seemed taken back by my question, but answered rather honestly. Yes, he had been married. It hadn't worked out and was something that he was still coming to terms with. There were tears in his eyes and he said that it was a part of his life that he was not proud of. We talked a little about the wedding, the engagement but then it seemed to be cutting deep so I let it go.

We finally realized it was time to say good bye. He began to cry again. I am really not used to guys who show their emotions so strongly! I assured him that we would see each other again (even though I wasn't sure myself). As I entered the elevator and looked back, my mind was racing and it was all I could do not to leap out and never let him go.

I returned to the hotel room and my outer shell broke. I began to cry hard. I was surprised at myself for getting so involved in such a short time. We were from different countries, and we are both very patriotic towards our homes and that was only the tip of the iceberg about the negatives in our relationship. Besides, what relationship? I said - I'd only known him such a short time so I couldn't understand what was happening to my usually logical, analytical self.

The phone rang about midnight. Of course, it was him. He was very emotional and to avoid waking L & J, I went out on the balcony. We talked for nearly an hour (on my cell, Oops! $$$) and he was having the same confusion I was. He said I had rocked him to the core and that he didn't know how to handle it. That this was terrible timing. That things were wrong for so many reasons, but that he couldn't listen to that. All he could think of is to be with me, any way possible. He offered to buy me another ticket home if only I stayed with him for the next week, but sadly, I had commitments at home and couldn't. I told him I was confused and surprised by my feelings too, but we had to let time tell what would happen. Then he said the strangest thing..."Mark my words...you'll be my wife 5 years from now." I told him I was flattered but knew that many things would have to happen and life is not that easy and perfect. We hung up, both drained, with the promise to see each other as soon as possible.


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie