January 06, 2005
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Well, we finally got a little dose of winter in LaLa Land. The first snowfall of the season.... Around my little area (which is under sea level at the best of times), there is maybe 1.5". At my work, we had about 6".

Absolutely breathtaking to look at and mesmerizing to watch the flakes fall. Complete insanity to drive in. What is it with everyone completely forgetting how to drive when the white stuff appears?

It took me nearly 2 hours to get into work. I thought THAT was bad, but my coworker Sherry left at 7:30 and didn't get in until nearly 12. Poor girl was in tears by the time she arrived and I could hear her telling her husband there was no way in hell she was attempting to drive back home and he had to come and get her.

They called a snow day at work, so we could have left anytime after noon and still be paid. However, I was feeling a LOT better than I have in past days so I took the risk and worked the full day. It was fine. The roads were completely clear by the time I left and most people had already gone home, so the commute was bliss.

Overnight, we're supposed to get another dump of the stuff so I'll make my decision in the morning. If it's really crappy, I'm gonna work from home tomorrow.

It's sad though. We get this little bit of snow and the world shuts down around us. Todd called me at work this morning, and I started telling him about my horrid commute. He asked how much snow there was, and I had to admit only about 3". I can still hear him laughing. Whatever. He just doesn't understand!

My coworker that was in Phuket is now truly missing. I found out at work on Monday. While the situation is not completely without hope (his return flight is expected tomorrow), he has not been heard from since just before Christmas. At that time, he told his friends he was on his way to the coast. A report has been filed with the embassy and if he comes in tomorrow, all will be fine, but if not, then he will officially be added to the extensive list of missing Canadians in the tsunami catastrophe. It's funny...like I said in my other post, he's not a close friend, but even still, it has really hit me hard. I phoned my ex last night (they were good friends) and felt myself getting very emotional about it. I don't really pray too often, but I'm praying for his safety now.

Odd thought that I realized yesterday. Shan's kids names are, coincidentally, a famous author. Alex and Hayley - the author of Roots, Hotel and Airport. Sadly, this is how my brain works. Full of trivial knowledge.

My work friend, Tanya also had her baby. She had a boy on December 28. He was 8 lbs. 2 oz. and doing just great. She lost her father in May, the same weekend she realized she was pregnant, so the baby is named in honour of her dad. Funny that her little guy, Jacob and our little Alex will be in different grades in school even though they're only 5 days apart in age.

I have a bunch of ideas for rants/thoughts to post about so hopefully will get time over the weekend to dump a bit. I am feeling so much better today...it feels like my mind and body are actually gonna get back on track now. I mean, it's after 10 and I still have energy!


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie