March 17, 2005
A Letter To Rose
Imagine you and your new husband have decided you must leave your country and start a new life in a foreign land, knowing that you will likely never see your family again. Not knowing where you'll end up or what lies ahead, as you ready to depart aboard the ship, you receive a letter from your Mother-In-Law. You have been warned that she already disapproves of the union, based on your religion alone, but due to the rather hasty circumstances of your courtship and departure, you never got to meet her. The letter becomes precious. It is read often over the years as a taste of home:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Hillgrove Place
Off Clarence Pt,
Cork

Friday 1st (sometime in 1922 - we believe)

My dear Rose

Just a line in answer to your note enclosed with the cake which I received quite safe. Well, my dear, I am sure you will have my every good wish for your happiness and prosperity. I am sure Joe will make a good husband he has always been a good son and I hope when we meet we shall be great



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

chums as Joe has been always more like a big brother and we are all the world to each other. We are all so sorry that we were not able to come over for the wedding but never mind girl, we shall soon meet and have a wedding all on our own. If the parcel post will run again from here before we go I shall send your present but I hope to be able to bring you something good when I come. Do send us a photo likea dear and I will get one of mine & send you. I expect you are as


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

longing to see what I am like as I am to see you. I am not a dreadful person as Joe will tell you. He was the one to get around me. You bet. Well dear you may thank God you and your people are left Limerick as all the place is in ruins and burned almost to the ground. Isn't it dreadful? We are nearly dotty with the explosions. Bombs & Firing day and night here. Now I must ring off as I am in a hurry for post and hoping to hear by return. Best love and may God Bless you both. I remain your fond and loving Mum & Dad, M. Webber. Tons of love from Billie Birdie Beatty also Peggy [ed. - the sisters]


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie