August 21, 2005
Wilson and Robert Service
Often, over at Trucker Bob's, he shares a poem from the legendary Yukon poet, Robert Service.

Every time he posts one, it reminds me of an old story that my father's uncle Wilson was a similar poet and was published. His poems were often compared to Robert Service. Of course, I wasn't sure if this was part of family legend or not.

So last night, I started googling out of curiousity and was surprised that I found him in the Library and Archives Canada. And also mention of him in a catalogue of old books.

The archives show it as:
AMICUS No. 6440042
Monograph

NLC COPIES: Reserve - PS8539 H69 S5 1940z - NO ILL
Reserve - PS8539 H69 S5 1940z - Copy 2 - NO ILL

NAME(S):*Thomson, Wilson
TITLE(S): The shiftboss, and other poems / by Wilson Thomson
PUBLISHER: Timmins? Ont. : [s.n., 194-?] (Timmins : Porcupine
advance)
DESCRIPTION: [24] p. ; 16 cm.

NUMBERS: LCCN: 44018053


CLASSIFICATION: LC Class no.: PS8539*
I called my Dad last night to ask him if he thought the above was Uncle Wilson's book. Apparently, it is. He wrote others too, but this particular one got him quite a bit of prestige and spoke of mining in Timmins, Ontario in the 1940s.

He later moved out to BC, but lived up in the Fraser Canyon making his living off of gold panning of all things. A lifelong bachelor and somewhat of a hermit, he lived most of his later years in a small shack outside of Haney, BC. My Dad kept in touch with him until his death in 1967, but his works are lost. We know one book exists with my cousins in California, but the particular family member is quadraplegic and largely unreachable.

I do, however, have a couple of notebooks containing a few odd poems. I am not sure they're his, but it would stand to reason. I'll have to pull them out and see what's there.

So my quest this morning is on. If he's listed in the Archives, there has to be a copy somewhere.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie