December 21, 2004
Canada eh?
When I started this blog, one of my reasons was to give myself somewhere to vent about current events, local, national and international. Within my group of friends, I often have a very different view from the rest. I get very annoyed with many of the policies of my government, and I find I'm surrounded by many who are very apathetic. So far I haven't spent a lot of time doing that because of the other issues that seemed to be encroaching my time.

Take my current foray into the socialized medical system. I was apalled at the level of care at the hospital and the fact that there was no viable alternative. When I returned to work yesterday, I was met with open hostility by my coworkers, who somehow thought I was personally attacking their views by saying our system does not work as it currently stands. One guy said "Hey at least you're getting to use your tax dollars". Yeah, dude, I was just trying to get what was owed to me. I used to be proud of so much our country stood for. Our health care system as it was originally built saved countless lives and made sure no family would ever go bankrupt because of illness or accident. Healthcare became a right, not something for the more fortunate. Today, sadly, it is an embarassment. A reactive system destroyed by cutbacks and mismanagement.

Over the last generation or so, things have slowly changed. So many things have made Canada become less somehow on the international stage. Within our borders, our government seems to make such odd and really out there decisions that I'm left scratching my head. But I live in BC, the land of treehuggers and potsmokers. Of which, I am neither. I understood the more down-home values of those in Alberta any day than many BC'ers, sad to say. Since I met Todd, I have become more involved in understanding the Iraq situation, the type of training he does with the U.S. Navy and what this deployment is going to mean to us, I can't help but feel a side of me awakened and wishing that there were more Canadians who felt so strongly about standing up for what they believed in. I am very proud of Todd, and what he is doing. But I feel so often I can't say that out loud.

Don't misunderstand me. I love my country. So much it's within my very soul. I love hockey, lacrosse, Train 48, Trailer Park Boys and Canadiana enmasse. My bookshelves are crowded with Canadian authors, celebrating the culture we so tightly prize. I've downloaded the Molson anthem and put it on my favorite CD. My cousin's house has the obligatory moose antlers hung proudly in his hallway. And of course, every July 1, I have a big Canada Day party, cover my house in Red and White and have even been known to tie a flag around my neck like a cape. But somewhere along the line, it's like we lost the plot.

Last night, I stumbled on a blog about the Red Ensign Brigade. It's a group of Canadians that seem to feel the way I do. I'm still at the 'There's others?' stage, but it's been a great read. In part it reads:

"We've taken the Red Ensign flag as our symbol because we understand that while Canada has improved in many ways since the adoption of the new Maple Leaf, it has also disregarded some of what made it great in generations past. I'm not saying our country under the Ensign was perfect, or even close to it. The residential schools, the Japanese-Canadian internment camps, the schism over conscription - all occurred under our beloved Red Ensign as well. But that flag hearkens back to a time when Canada did more than it talked, both at home and abroad. Our 21st century Canada needs some of the old-time spirit in the national character as well. By all means, let's remember both the good and the bad of our history, the better to avoid its mistakes and build on its successes.

John McCrae wrote: "To you from failing hands we throw The torch, be yours to hold it high." This generation of Canadians stands on the shoulders of generations such as my grandparents'. We have been thrown the Canadian torch - are we holding it as high as we can?"

Another blog explains the Red Ensign Blogs a little more.

So in honour of this find, I think I'll post a few things on some of the Canadian stories hitting the news....Can you tell I'm off work today?



Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie