January 07, 2005
Somebody's been watching Red Green again....
Found this article about a hockey-starved Dad in PEI, who must be a hero to his kids:

P.E.I. dad turns lawnmower into homemade Zamboni

ALBERTON, P.E.I. - A backyard rink builder in Alberton, P.E.I., has used his ingenuity and some duct tape to get a head start on grooming his homemade ice.

"I made the rink this year, and I wanted a way to keep it smoother without the hose," said Leonard Fraser, who lives in the small town about 50 kilometres west of Summerside.

"Me and my neighbour came up with the idea of making a Zamboni."

Fraser retrofitted a John Deere ride-on lawnmower to turn it into an ice-grooming machine, more than a few steps down from the $60,000 trademarked kind the pros use at indoor rinks.

"I took it, put a nozzle on it, a garden hose with holes so water falls over [the ice], a level that just makes the flap go up and down, and a towel on back to smooth the water," he said.

A little duct tape compensates for the odd engineering defect, and a cinder block out front balances the load on the back.

"Duct tape is good," Fraser proclaimed when asked whether he was inspired by the would-be fix-it men on The Red Green Show.

The California-based Zamboni Company sells a backyard model of its regular machine, for about $10,000.

Fraser didn't spend nearly that much, though, and his son Thomas is just as happy with the results.


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie