August 09, 2005
Age and life in general
It's not often I'm made to feel old. I may feel it myself somedays but I'm usually pretty proud of the years I have under my belt. I've had a lot of great times and very few regrets. But beyond that, I've not even yet begun!

But I had a conversation yesterday that floored me.

So this month, my health insurance expires from my previous job. They were kind enough at the time to provide me with an additional 6 months of extended health after my redundancy in February.

I switched over to the regular general health coverage this month without a problem. It's $47 a month for those that are interested. It covers basic health care, and it would seem it's a bargain of late for me.

But that left me with the rest. Extended health plans here will cover prescriptions, eyecare, physiotherapy, and a lot of other things, including ambulance care if required. Most times this is a benefit of employment but as I am now a contract employee, it's not available to me.

My previous employer included a pamphlet on Pacific Bluecross. It gave the option as a 'contractor' to pay my own way. Sounded good to me. I went online and cringed a bit at the price. A year ago, when I was the wet-behind-the-ears 34, it would have been a mere $30 a month or $343 per annum. Now, 12 months into the 35-44 range, the jump was rather steep. Now $43 a month, or $491 per annum.

But, hey, I will need it, I told myself. My migraine medication alone is $200 a month. So I filled out their form and sent it in.

The representative called me yesterday afternoon to ask a few questions.

First, he confirmed my age.

Then he asked if I had ever any overnight hospital stays. Yup, I had to reply. 'Oh, I see', he said rather disapprovingly.

'I see here you have pre-existing conditions', he went on to say.

Which apparently will up the premium by $15 per month. And will not cover anything pre-existing or possibly related.

I asked him to confirm then what I would be paying for. If it doesn't cover my existing medications, nor anything that could possibly traced back to the vascular disorder, then what am I paying $45 a month for?

'Well, you are 35, you know. Things start to go very wrong after that'.

35? Um, I may have my bad moments, son, but I got at least another 35 left!

So I told him he could keep his premium. And I will go on paying for my medications myself. I guess, really, these companies are in business to make money and they certainly wouldn't be making anything off of me.

But after that phonecall, I didn't know whether to go home, put my shawl on and curl up on my front porch rocker with my cane at my side, or scream!

Gawdamn young whippersnappers - what is the world coming to?

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie