August 28, 2005
Certainly not Walking On Sunshine
Storm Surge expected in wake of Hurricane Katrina

Watching the coverage of Katrina and her impending Waves and feeling very nervous for the people of South Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. New Orleans looks plain nasty.

I want to believe it's hype but considering the thought of 11 ft. of water expected in people's living rooms - and that's the best situation, it doesn't look good for the 100,000 people who decided to stay put.

Breaking News at New Orleans.com is reporting the first 3 casualties - in a bus evacuating the elderly from a nursing home no less.

I read on a weather forum that some people are evacuating only to find once they get to a hotel that they aren't bending the policy on pets. Come on...it's not like it's a normal situation!

There's live feeds from a local New Orleans newstation here (at least while they have power).

Here's an eyewitness account of the strongest hurricane ever to hit the US in 1935. This is expected to be the second strongest.

I live in a city that's 3 feet under sea level and is kept dry through dykes (aka levees in the US) and pumping stations. Those stations failed the year I was in Grade 4 and I have memories of walking home in water that was over my boots when the school closed. I remember my brother's bed floating in his bedroom and the bridge we had over our ditch hopelessly floating down the street. And that was a small flood. I have never even seen reference to it again, yet I remember it very clearly.

Yuck. This does not look good. My heart goes out to those in the path. At least with earthquakes, it's over in a few minutes and then the cleanup begins. Hurricanes are like some sort of torture...you know it's on the way and you can't do a damned thing about it.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie