September 12, 2005
Burns Bog
Tonight the Lower Mainland of Vancouver sits in a fog of smoke from a 20-hectare fire burning at, appropriately enough, Burns Bog.

The wafting of the smoke has permeated the city and ash has been found on cars nearly 20 kms away (including my own). It smells like one huge campfire.

I work not too far from where the fire is, and it was definitely noticeable in the air today. You couldn't help but have a scratchy throat and watery eyes. I took this picture while driving home from work.

A web poll at Canada.com shows 75% of people have noticed the effects of this large fire, and it looks as if there is no end in sight. This is not just a forest fire, but the added bonus of being in a peat bog means the fire could smoulder for months.

Burns Bog is the largest undeveloped urban area in North America, at about 4,000 acres. It is home to many species of wildife from beaver to bear.

Late this afternoon, an advisory for air quality was issued. Because of my mother's emphysema, my parents decided to leave town for a few days. Although they had already planned a trip in the near future, the looks of this fire made them move the trip up a little bit. She's just getting on her feet after being so ill in early July and she just does not need another setback.

However, I have to admit there is something very cool about watching the Mars Bombers dropping retardant, and the helicopers dousing the flames with water. Certainly not a common sight in the urban zone.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie