September 13, 2005
Somethin's Burnin'


A couple of pictures from this morning's commute. Even though I was coughing and wheezing today, from what I've heard, it was not even comparable to other areas of the Lower Mainland.

My friend's fiance was sent home at 10 am after their building was filled with smoke and it was deemed too unsafe to work. And the Fraser Surrey Port was closed for business later in the day. And even schools in the area were closed.




Air quality is poor. People with breathing problems are being advised to stay indoors. I noticed it this morning - burning eyes and scratchy throat - and that was indoors. But the winds shifted this afternoon and I guess someone else got to feel it for a while.

The fire itself covers 200 hectares now (nearly 500 acres for those on imperial measures). 80 firefighters and 7 helicopters continue to battle the blaze, but it has gone undergroud causing difficulties. Consider a forest fire, but underneath the surface. Firefighters have the added danger of not knowing where it will pop up again.

There was a rumour today that the next plan was to flood the bog plain by opening up the dykes at the edge. I don't know how true that is but while novel, the thought of flooding is a little too fresh in the memory right now to make it a good plan in my mind.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie