March 08, 2005
Eruptions?
So our news seems to be reporting that Mt. St. Helens is erupting right now. But going to the live web cam here, it certainly doesn't seem to be any more than the usual steam plume that's been rising for the last few months.

I was planning to visit there next week if we could get organized enough. Since I had the opportunity to see the devastation first hand during the 1980 eruption, it's been something that has always tweaked my interest.

On May 18, 1980, I remember sitting on the couch and hearing the sonic boom from the volcano, which arrived about 40 minutes after the actual eruption. Speed of sound has always fascinated me. There were actually two explosion sounds that morning, as there was also some sort of incident at the Port Of Vancouver too, but I was too young to remember the details.

About 2 months later, my Dad drove us down to see the area. There was ash so deep on the side of the road, my Mom took a mason jar, opened the car door and scooped up a full glass. We saw the devastation, the roads completely swept away, the 50 foot trees with mudmarks about 3/4's of the way up. And the acrid smell that has stayed with me ever since.

I'm glad he did that. It was one of the most amazing moments of my childhood and gave me a real insight into nature and it's force.

Huh...looked again. It's cloudy but doesn't really look like an eruption. Who knows? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

update: Yup, looks likes she's blowing her top quite nicely this evening. Of course, that's my life...a day late, a dollar short.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie