April 04, 2005
Princess Apathy
That's who I've been most of my life. It doesn't make me happy to admit it, but it's true. I stuck my little head in the sand, along with a lot of my friends and family members and expected that the country I lived in would trek on by in the way I knew in my heart I wanted it to be.

If I felt it, other people must, right? Everything works itself out in time. And besides, what's my voice going to matter?

I have a terrible confession to make. [head hanging in shame, whispering] I never voted until last year. Well, not 'never'. But it's been a LONG time. When I was still living at home, I did. It was a ritual. My parents would wait until I returned from work or school, and we would go together as a family. I even volunteered as a scrutineer once, for a municipal election. But once I left the family fold, I decided that others would speak for me. I even was known to make comments that I was excercising my right NOT to vote. In Australia, for example, a person is fined if they don't vote. Or at least, someone once told me that. I believed them. It served my purpose.

Last year, I chose to vote. Maybe it's maturity, maybe it's age. But I felt like I needed to get my ostrich attitude adjusted. I knew the local candidate for the Conservatives, and knew that he was more than proven. In fact, he even was arrested for standing up for what he believed in. My grandmother used to say 'If you don't know who to vote for, pick the man, not the party.' So I did, but I also believed in the party too. For the first time, I made an informed vote and I felt proud of taking charge of my country.

Suddenly, I woke up and I looked around. Nearly a year later, I feel more disillusioned than ever. I realized that somewhere along the line, the train had flipped the tracks. That car chases ended up in the police being blamed when offenders hit innocent victims. Canadian citizens could be raped, beaten and murdered in foreign countries and our government wouldn't care. Young fathers could be beaten to a pulp while just going for milk for their babies. Grow ops became so prolific that it was hard not to find people who hadn't lived close to one, let alone the factories being set up in apartment buildings. We are told to feel sorry for young punks who kill viciously and brutally. Non-citizens who murder people get all up in arms when they are sentenced to deportation. The police spend more time investigating their own actions than actual policing. Even doctors have banded together, with sketchy names like 'The Wait Time Alliance' to protest the poor medical care the citizens face. That saying anything remotely positive about the Americans is considered traitorous. Even the wildlife isn't safe.

Angry in the Great White North has a great post up about the situation we are now facing..

First they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.
Rev, Martin Niemoller

Where did my country go and where can I get it back?

Ooh, looks like we're making lots of news on Michelle Malkin.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie