July 13, 2005
Scorpion

In the same vein as the post the other day, another piece of treasure from the family history box.

The inscription on the back, in my Grandfather's much younger handwriting reads:

R.R. armoured car "Scorpion"
Taken before handing over to the Irish Free State Army
1922

Pretty funky looking tank! After watching 'Gunner Palace' last night for the first time, I was looking at this and thinking about the comment 'It'll probably slow down the bullet enough so it stays in your body'.

And in the background is that ol' Model T! Not exactly sure where this was taken but the majority of my Grandfather's time was spent in Cork as far as I know. After the RIC disbanded, he and his new English bride flipped a coin on whether to emigrate to Canada or Australia. You can guess what they got.

I spent a few hours trying to research on the internet last night, but now I'm more confused than ever. Will have to spend some more time on the weekend.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie