October 10, 2005
The Cheesecake

I found this recipe a while back and it is the best cheesecake I've ever tasted. I wish I could remember where I found the recipe so I could properly give credit where credit is due, but unfortunately that part didn't make the print-out.

Considering I actually don't care for cheesecake, it says a lot for this one where I would happily eat the entire thing if I could.

CHEESECAKE EXTRAORDINARE

Graham-Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup of melted butter
1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 tsp. salt

Stir together crust ingredients and press into 10" springform pan.

Cheesecake:
5 packages of cream cheese
2 cups of sugar
3 tbsp. flour
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to high (500F).

Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour with mixer until smooth. Add eggs and yolks one at a time, followed by vanilla. Beat on low until smooth and spatula down bowl between additions.

Pour over crust in springform pan. If it's full, make sure you put a pan underneath to catch drips. Fire is not fun.

Put in oven but WATCH carefully. Cook on high for 10-ish minutes until it puffs up a little bit and slightly browns. Once this happens, turn down oven temperature to 200F.

Cook at lower temp for approximately 1 hr 45 min. It will still be a little wobbly in the middle but mostly solid.

Once done, remove from oven and run a knife around the top edge to loosen. Let it sit until it cools. It should be chilled for a few hours before eating but I never have and it comes out fine.

For sauces, caramel and chocolate sauce (normally for ice cream) works well. So do fresh blueberries cooked with a little sugar and lemon juice.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie