June 30, 2005
Happy Dominion Day
In lieu of a long-winded post about Canada (Dominion) Day, I leave you with some pictures of past years. July 1 is my favourite holiday of the year - it's summer, there's a parade in my neighbourhood, and I wear my red and white's proudly.

I could wax poetic about how I feel we could be a much better country, and how I wish our parliament would do things differently, but there are other days for that. Today, I am just proud to be Canadian, and am thankful for all we have.

As my friend will be arriving soon and I will be busy entertaining, blogging will be light for the next few days so I will leave you with a slightly early wish for a fantastic long weekend, and a
'HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!!!!'


Our patriotism may have been ignited by a beer commercial, but hey, I'll take it!


Imagine having to wear that bear suit, along with the woolen uniform on a
hot summer day. That is a hero!

I am fortunate enough to live about 2 min. from the parade route. There is nothing sweeter than waking up on Canada Day to the sounds of bagpipes, and marching bands setting up outside your bedroom window.


My Mom and her sisters showing our true and patriot love. I was wearing the flag as a cape that night as well.

This will be missed this year. We no longer have fireworks in my neighbourhood after some young idiots decided it would be fun to toss bottles filled with gasoline at the police the year before last. What used to be the highlight has now been ruined for all.


What is this day, you ask? Well, up until 1982, July 1 was celebrated as Dominion Day - but as our link to the British monarchy was diminshed it was renamed Canada Day. It's our day to be patriotic, to appreciate our wonderful country and reflect on where we have come and where we are going. It's also a day for barbeques, parades and general summer festivities. Much like the American Independence Day.

So on Friday, I will be on the curb watching the parade, taking pictures and then it's off for a salmon barbeque at the fair, baseball watchin' and spectating of some belt-sander races. After that, the barbeque's at my place, followed by some brews outside on the patio at the local pub listening to bands in the summer breeze.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie