October 12, 2005
NaNoWriMo
So I decided to bite the bullet. I signed up for NaNoWriMo, the National Novel Writing Month contest. The idea is deceptively simple. 50,000 words in November. All about quantity, not quality. It sounds like a good way to jump start myself into something more involved.

The funny part is when I began giving myself the permission to start writing seriously, I seemed to have opened up a flood gate. I have several ideas for stories and they just keep coming. However, I have very little confidence in myself.

I've been reading a book called 'The Courage To Write'. It helps me to understand that everyone has had that fear in the beginning.

But, the stories in my head are ones I believe deserve to be told. The characters, the events and the tales need to be brought to the surface. But how can I? Do I have what it takes?

Walking into a bookstore, all I can see on the shelves are days spent and hearts emptied by authors that have arrived before me. Is there anything left to say? These people are writers. I throw words together. But are my stories interesting at all?

Apprehension enters my heart. Books are long. Easily 200 pages. Can I possibly write that much? How did others do it? I recall Isabel Allende’s words when I attended her lecture – “I just lock myself away until I’m done.” Another author remarking – “You must want to write at the exclusion of everything else”.

I want that. I want to immerse myself in the tales that entertain my thoughts. The ones I share with my friends and family beg to be turned into written prose. They’ve spoken quietly of their wish for years, each year becoming stronger than the next. Now, I feel it’s their time. These words must become stories.

Courage is not easily found, but the battle begins with the first word.


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie