February 28, 2005
Supporting friends


On Friday night, my niece, my nephew-in-law and I traipsed downtown to a extremely sketchy area to support our friends at their first gig.

I've known Nadia and Dan since they were in junior high. Nadia sang at my niece's wedding...she has a gorgeous voice. Deep and soulful. Full of promise. I hope with time she will really get somewhere with it.

Dan is a bit closer of a friend. He's my nephew-in-law's best bud, and we spend a lot of time together last summer when he was living close by. He'd lost his license (boys and speed, dangerous combination!) so I helped him out. Great guy...and part of me wishes the age difference was a bit less. In fact, he was practically living at my place when I left for Hawaii last year. Nothing has ever 'happened' but the spark is there. Just too damned young, though. And besides, the friendship with my niece and her husband makes me a bit reticent as I would not want anything to come between that.

This place was, um, character building. It's a dark, dank roadhouse-type joint that allows young and inexperienced talent try out their stuff. Sort of an open mike idea. Mostly, though, the clientelle they get are along the lines of Eminem-wannabes. When Nadia got up and started to sing a gospel tune, it was probably not the best choice. In fact, a heckler yelled 'STRIP!' as soon as she started. But she continued, and we did 'The Wave' for her. They went on to do John Lennon's Imagine and another beautiful song about missing someone. In fact, so beautiful I am going to have to find out the name of it. I felt so proud of Nadia though...in that rough environment, she continued to sing and the more people heckled her, the stronger her voice became. I teased her after that I'll keep the pics so she can remember where she started.

I am glad we went though. It was one of those moments that you realize that supporting friends is just so important.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie