March 10, 2005
If we don't stand up to evil, who will?


That quote struck me as profound during the ceremony today. I watched it from beginning to end and had intentions of making a list of the top 10 quotes, but that hasn't quite happened.

I will pass on this poem though, that was emailed to me by a friend of my brother's. I have no idea who wrote it only that it was apparently 'by a Mountie about the four Mounties that were murdered last week NW of Edmonton.'

As four Mounties stood and faced their Maker,
which most sadly comes to pass,
They bowed down to see their boots were shining,
just like their first academy class.

"Step forward now, young Constables
how shall I deal with all of you?
Have you turned the other cheek down there?
Or have you all been true blue through and through?"

The first Constable,
with squared shoulders, said
"No sir, I guess I ain't,
because those of us who carry such weighty badges can't always
live like Saints."

The second confessed he'd worked most Sundays
and that at times his talk was rough,
and that to control such senseless violence,
sometimes words were not enough.

The third confessed he'd never took a penny,
that wasn't his to keep,
Though he'd worked a lot of overtime
when the bills just got too steep.

The last Constable stated that he never passed a cry for help
though inside he had occasionally shook with fear,
"and once," he said quite meekly,
"I've wept unmanly tears."

The Constables all agreed together,
that they were not sure if they deserved to rest amongst the best,
Because their life had been one of serving,
And so they were used to having less.

"But if you do have a place for us here,
well...it need not be too grand,
we don't expect, nor have had too much
so if you don't...we understand."

There was silence throughout all of heaven
While the Saints nodded together as they stood,
And the Constables stood quietly shoulder to shoulder,
for their final judgment...bad or good.

"Step forward young police Constables,
You have borne your burdens well,
Come walk a beat on Heaven's streets;
You've done your time in Hell."


Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie