May 13, 2005
The week that was
It's been a big week in Todd and my relationship. We've hit another level of closeness that I didn't think was possible. Considering 80% of our situation has been long-distance, it amazes me every day the odds that went into us meeting, and the even greater odds that have kept us getting stronger every day.

In the aftermath of the incident last week, he's been calling once or twice a day since. He feels very far from home these days. The situation has been compounded by a certain testosterone-poisoned creature in his direct daily dealings. You would think that people would have more brains and realize the bigger picture, but the fact remains that human nature can be ugly. He's been dealing with a guy that feels the need to try to physically intimidate him on a regular basis, trying to taunt him into a confrontation. It brings back all those decades-old scars from high school and just preys on a side that should be left long ago. So far, it's been manageable for him but takes a lot of energy just to turn the other cheek. He worries though, that it may escalate soon.

Ahh...so frustrating.

There's also been a lot of talk that he may be transferred to another batallion again, and if that comes through, he won't be home in September. I'm trying very hard not to think about that, but it's no matter, I guess. Whatever the date, I will be there when he comes off that plane. I told him this week my reason for taking the 6-month contract was so that I could be in a position to take some time with him when he comes home. I think it touched him deeply.

Tomorrow is my niece's wedding. This shindig is costing her parents in the neighbourhood of $40K! It's at a gorgeous golf course, complete with all the trimmings and 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen. His family is Greek, and ours is Irish so there should be some serious partying going on. I've booked myself into the salon for most of the day tomorrow. I always get nervous at these functions, being the only unmarried family member. So if nothing else, I will look smashing when I'm there.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie