October 20, 2005
Uphill
The last two days have been definitely better than I've had in a long time (knocking wood). I think this whole tooth thing has been colouring my health for a lot longer than I first realized and have found, once the healing started, all is much better. I have energy, a clear head and I'm even starting to feel back like my old self again.

Even still, I have a check up with the doctor tonight that's a little invasive so if anyone wants to spare some good vibes around 4:30pst I'd be very much appreciative.

Tonight, I will be going to see Andre Philippe Gagnon, a Canadian impressionist who apparently puts on quite a show. I had not heard of him before, but talking to people, sounds like it's very funny. One of his highlights is performing 'We Are The World' as a one-man show.

Photography class has been cancelled now for two weeks in a row (with the exception of the field trip) due to BC Teacher's Strike. Kids have been out of school now in what is effectively an illegal work stoppage. Education is considered an essential service in BC, but the teachers felt strongly they weren't being heard. So they walked out. The powers that be all the way up to Supreme Court have agreed the teachers must return to work before bargaining can begin, but it's at a stalemate it would seem. While I certainly understand the teachers have their issues and agree that there could definintely be improvements made (including basic necessities such as newer teaching tools and textbooks), I wholeheartedly disagree with the lawbreaking that is going on.

There is a reason education is an essential service. Children need not only education and structure, but also a safe place to go in the day. Many parents don't have the luxury of paying for childcare every day or taking the time off during the strike. The head of the teacher's organization has likened herself to Martin Luther King Jr., in her stance of breaking the law to stand up for an injustice. I fail to see the similarity.

Standing up for what you believe in is admirable and noble, without question. But if that brings you outside of the law, I'm less empathetic.

Sue
Vancouver, British Columbia
.............................................
A patriotic Canadian full of visions of a better Canada, random thoughts and a lot of hot air. Who am I? A struggling writer and photographer, who looks forward to a better Canada. I read. A lot. I learn. A lot. I push myself. A lot. The world is a small place, and getting smaller every day. I'm proud to have friends in every corner of the earth, and abide by the old adage that there are no strangers, only friends we haven't met yet.



www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from cdnsue. Make your own badge here.

Steal this button and link to me!
Turning thirty and a half
  • July 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006

  • The WeatherPixie